COVID-19 PCR Testing Service
Get a private COVID-19 PCR swab test at Boots & get your results the next day*
*Available in selected pharmacies, charges apply. Subject to lab capacity, specially trained colleague and stock availability. Appointment required. Appointments can be booked up to 28 days in advance.
What is the COVID-19 PCR Testing Service?
We’re offering a private PCR testing service in selected pharmacies nationwide. There are many different reasons why you may want to have a COVID-19 swab test. Maybe you’re travelling abroad, you need a test for work or you’re visiting family where permitted under government guidance. Our COVID-19 PCR Testing Service is a convenient way to get a nose and throat swab PCR test to check for a current COVID-19 infection.
Who is the COVID-19 PCR Testing Service suitable for?
This service is not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19, which includes being a close contact. Please don’t book an appointment or come into store if you, anyone in your household or support bubble have symptoms of COVID-19 or you are classed as a close contact. Instead, please stay at home and follow the latest government guidance.
The service is also not suitable if you’ve recently arrived into Ireland from a country where the advice is to self-isolate. Where this applies, you must follow the latest government advice on travel into Ireland.
How can I use the COVID-19 PCR Testing Service?
Simply book your appointment online and attend your appointment.* Next day appointments can be booked up to 1pm. If you need an appointment sooner, please contact the relevant Boots store directly, and they may be able to arrange an earlier appointment for you if one is available.
When you come to store for your appointment, please bring an ID such as your passport or driver’s licence with you. Payment for this service will be taken before your swab is collected. After your appointment, your swab will be sent to a laboratory for PCR testing, and you’ll get notification of your results the following day.~ This service is available seven days a week.*
If you would like us to report your results in the Health Passport Europe App, you need to download the Health Passport Europe App.++++ It’s best to do this before you arrive for your appointment.
Which stores offer this service?
This service is currently available in the following pharmacies:
Cork, Mahon Pt
Cork, Half Moon St
Dublin, Dawson St
Dublin, Lower Baggot St
Dublin, Jervis Street
Dublin, Liffey Valley
Galway, Shop St
Who is this service suitable for?
The Boots PCR Testing Service is suitable for adults and children 13 years of age and over. It’s not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19, anyone who’s been advised to self-isolate due to recent travel, or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19, which includes being a close contact. It's also not recommended to get a test if you have had a positive PCR COVID-19 test in the last 12 weeks and you don't have symptoms as your result could come back positive due to your infection at that time. Anyone with COVID-19 symptoms can get a free HSE COVID-19 test.
How it works
Order your test online through the ReCoVa-19 portal, then book your appointment online
Register your details, and enter your payment details
Attend your chosen Boots pharmacy for your swab test
A member of our team will swab your nose and the back of your throat. Your swab will then be sent to the laboratory to be tested.
Get your results
The day after~ your test you'll get a message letting you know your test result.
Watch our patient journey video here to learn more about how the service works, and what to expect during your appointment.
How long will my appointment take?
Your in-store appointment, including the swab sample collection, will take about 10 minutes.
How much does this service cost?
The Boots COVID-19 PCR Testing Service costs €139.
Important appointment information
Please read carefully before attending your appointment.
• If you, anyone in your household or support bubble have any symptoms of COVID-19, think they may have COVID-19, have been advised to self-isolate due to recent travel, or are classed as a close contact, please don’t come into the pharmacy for your appointment. Instead, please call the pharmacy to cancel your appointment, stay at home and follow the latest government guidance
• Remember to wear a face mask or covering and maintain social distancing whilst in store. You’ll need to remove your face mask or covering for the sample collection
• During the COVID-19 pandemic we are carefully controlling the numbers of people in our stores at any one time. Therefore it’s very important that you arrive in the pharmacy at the correct time for your appointment. Please arrive at your scheduled time and if you’re early we ask you not to enter the store until your allotted time. If you’re late, we may not be able to provide the test and we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to re-schedule your appointment. If you are travelling to be tested with another person, we ask that each person attends alone at their scheduled time (unless a chaperone is required). Once your appointment is complete, we ask that you leave promptly. Thank you for your co-operation with these important health and safety measures.
The store team will need to see your passport or driving licence to check your identity. Please remember to bring this with you.
A small number of swab tests are sometimes inconclusive, and you may therefore require a retest. You’ll be contacted if you need to have another swab test. We won’t charge you for this retest and we’ll do our best to accommodate retests within the required timeframe, but this may not always be possible.**
A COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test checks to see if the COVID-19 virus is in your body at the time a swab sample is taken. It works by detecting the genetic material in the virus called RNA. When your swab sample reaches the lab, a solution known as a ‘reagent’ is added to it. If the virus is in the sample, the reagent starts a ‘chain reaction’. This reaction creates billions of copies of the viral genetic material, so there’s enough for it to be detected and analysed by scientists.
If you have any questions about the service, please contact our customer care team on 1890 708 091. (1 890 numbers - LoCall rate - call charges will vary depending upon your provider. Calls from mobiles, payphones and charge cards may cost more.)
Your result will be sent to you by email or text message to your mobile phone. Where you choose to use the Health Passport Europe+++ app, your results will be updated as soon as they are available. If you receive a positive test result you will be phoned by one of our pharmacists.
You may choose to get your results uploaded into the Health Passport Europe application. It’s an application which can be downloaded from the App Store or the Google Play Store and is accessible on many mobile devices. Results of COVID-19 tests, completed by trained healthcare providers, are recorded on this application. This provides you with immediate access to your personal COVID-19 test result status which you can choose to display or scan whenever appropriate. Further information is available here.
The test result will display as green, amber or red. Green indicates that you have tested negative for the virus on the day of reporting, and red indicates that you have tested positive for the virus on the day of reporting. As a test result is based on a sample taken at a point in time, the day after your sample collection your status will display as amber, even if you obtained a negative test result. This is necessary as at any point after your swab sample is collected you can get or develop COVID-19 infection.
Details of your test results (including date of test and result) can be found in the 'Test Results' section of the app. If you would like us to report your results in the Health Passport Europe app, you need to download the Health Passport Europe app, to do this click here.
We will also need you to allow Boots to access your account, so when requested, please provide permission as soon as possible within the app. Information on this site may vary from www.boots.ie and is not intended to replace a conversation with your doctor or Boots pharmacist.)
You’ll get your test result the day after your appointment and swab collection in store. If you haven’t received your result by 3pm that day, please contact the store where you had your appointment.
Up-to-date guidance can be found for each destination, including entry requirements by visiting the Department of Foreign Affairs website at: https://dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/
Please note, your Boots store cannot provide travel advice or guidance on test specification, restriction or isolation requirements for different countries. Please consult with your travel carrier and Government websites for guidance and up-to-date advice.
On request, we will provide you with a Test Result Certificate where you obtain a negative or not detected test result. This will include your personal details, the ID you provide to verify your identity and test date.
• This service is not suitable for anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19, anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19, those classed as close contacts, or those who are advised to self-isolate due to recent travel. If you have any symptoms, or you’re classed as a close contact, please stay at home and follow government guidance
• Customers using the service must be 13 years of age and over
• Customers must bring their in-date passport or driving licence to the appointment to verify their identity
• If using this service to travel abroad you must book your appointment in line with the travel carrier e.g. airline and country of entry requirements
• If you choose to use Health Passport Europe+++ to record that you have undergone COVID-19 testing, you are aware this is a third party site+++
• The swab sample collected will be sent to an independent lab for testing
• Where you are provided with a positive test result‡ authorised test lab personnel will access your personal data so that they can inform the HSE in line with their legal requirements.++ Boots will in turn inform the HSE and also provide them with your personal details and test result.++ The personal data provided include your name and address, phone number, date of birth and if any COVID-19 symptoms are present
• If you test negative‡ this means that the COVID-19 virus was not identified in your test sample at the time of testing. It does not mean that you have not had COVID-19 or that you will not develop the infection in the future
• Whilst every effort will be made, we cannot guarantee results will be received the day following test sample collection
• There is a very small chance the sample may not give a clear or any test result and could be classed as indeterminate, invalid or inhibitory. If this applies to your test you will be invited to book another test as soon as possible and at a time to best suit you but this cannot be guaranteed
• Whilst the COVID-19 PCR testing method remains the gold standard for detecting SARS-CoV-2 and is characterised by both high sensitivity and specificity it is not 100% accurate and may give false positive or false negative results
• Boots will not be held liable for losses, costs, damage that you suffer or incur as a result of any delays in receiving test results or as a result of inconclusive test results
• Boots will also not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that you suffer or incur as a result of receiving a positive rest result (including, if you are unable to travel as a result of testing positive)
• Service is subject to lab test capacity, and specially trained colleague and stock availability
• We will not charge you if you cancel your order and appointment in advance due to showing symptoms of COVID-19. If you have already paid for the test, a full refund will be provided
• By booking an appointment for this service you are aware that you agree to the Terms and Conditions of the service and provide informed consent to proceed with the journey through the service
Information correct at time of publication (12.01am 04/03/2021)
Help keep you & your loved ones safe
*Subject to specially trained colleague and stock availability. Subject to lab capacity. Available in selected pharmacies, charges apply. Appointment required. Appointments can be booked up to 28 days in advance.
~Subject to lab test capacity.
**Boots will not be liable for any costs incurred as a result of a failed or inconclusive test.
++Infectious Diseases Regulations 1981 as amended including Infectious Diseases (Amendment) Regulations 2020 (S.I. No. 53 of 2020).
‡Positive test result refers to positive refers to SARS CoV2 RNA Detected/Detected at low level, Negative test result refers to SARS CoV2 RNA not detected.
+++ Boots is not responsible for the content provided by this third party and disclaims liability for any content, advice, or services provided by the third party. Any information you provide to the third party site will be collected by that third party and not by Boots, and will be subject to that party's privacy and security policies. Information on this site may vary from www.boots.ie and is not intended to replace a conversation with your doctor or Boots pharmacist.