From practical gifts to luxurious hampers & newborn essentials, these baby shower gift ideas will make those first few months extra special
Baby showers can be a wonderful way to bring friends and family together to celebrate the imminent arrival of a child. Nibbles, games and alcohol-free drinks are all commonplace – as are gifts – and giving a thoughtful, personal present can make the occasion all the more special.
While the term ‘shower’ is often assumed to mean that the expectant parent (or parents) get ‘showered’ with gifts, you needn’t go overboard with a huge hamper – although this is a lovely idea if your budget affords. In fact, just a little something that will help them transition into parenthood will go down a treat.
What makes a great gift? From practical presents to newborn essentials, find something that a growing family will find genuinely useful in those first few months by scrolling through our gift guide and list of top baby shower present ideas.
Who are baby shower gifts for?
Typically, baby shower gifts are for the unborn baby. A baby blanket, muslin cloths or baby monitor are all popular presents. With that said, they can also be for the parents or for the parent and baby to enjoy together.
What should I buy as a gift for a baby shower?
As it can be so personal, searching for the perfect baby shower gift can be a tricky task. Our advice? Set yourself a budget and start from there. Then decide if you want to go down the practical route (think slings, a car seat or pram) or if you’d prefer to buy a present for the baby (such as a toy, baby bath or an adorable outfit).
12 of the best gifts for a baby shower
Cuddledry Hands-Free Baby Bath Towel - Grey Star
• Hands-free design
• Double layers of fabric for insulation
• Available in five different colourways
• Supersoft and super absorbent fabric
Designed with a unique blend of bamboo and skin-soft cotton, this snuggly hooded towel is the perfect addition to bathtime. Both simple and safe to use, it provides parents with confidence to lift and cuddle their new arrival dry, so both them and baby can enjoy each bathtime filled with treasured smiles and laughter.
VTech VM819 2.8 Inch Video Baby Monitor
• 2.4GHz FHSS wireless technology
• 2.8ins colour LCD screen
• Two-way, talk-back intercom
• 2 x digital zoom
• Automatic infrared night vision
• Soothing sounds and lullabies
Give the gift of peace of mind with a high tech baby monitor, such as this one from VTech. With a high-resolution screen, two-way intercom, temperature sensor and even a range of calming sounds and lullabies, it’ll allow parents to keep a watchful eye on their little one, and help everyone get a better night’s sleep.
Geometric Shape Slip-in Photo Album 6x4 - 140 photos
• Photograph size: 6x4ins
• Album type: slip-in
• Holds 140 photos
• Clear PVC dust jacket
You can’t go far wrong with a photo album. With so many milestones to photograph and new memories to capture, this is a fail-safe baby shower gift that’s also thoughtful. Any photo album is lovely but we especially like this chic white and gold design that can hold up to 140 photos.
Instax Mini 11 Blush Pink Camera Gift Set
• Includes: One mini 11 Blush Pink Camera
• 10 shots instax mini film
• Colour matched case, adjustable shoulder strap & removable front cover
• 10 transparent pegs with 1m metal wire & battery operated LED lights
• Pack of Double Sided Stickers to display your photos
Every moment with a new arrival is one they’ll want to cherish forever. So why not help them capture their memories for a lifetime with this camera gift set? Complete with a case, film and display accessories, they’ll be able to show off their favourite prints in the nursery and other areas of the home.
Beaba Babycook Solo White/Silver Baby Food Steamer Blender
• Maunaul cyclone effect blade for tailor made mixing
• Single control button for ease of use
• Accessories included: Spatular, blending/smoothie lid & recipe book
Time is of the essence when a baby is on the scene, so a speedier solution to mealtimes is sure to be appreciated by any new parent. This 4-in-1 food maker steam cooks, blends, defrosts and reheats large quantities of food so their baby’s tiny tum never goes hungry – looks like meal prep just got a whole lot easier.
My Expert Midwife mum to be collection
• Includes five full-sizes:
• One x Fantastic Skin Elastic Stretch Mark Moisturising Serum 150ml
• One x Peri Prep Your Bits Perineum Massage Oil 30ml
• One x Spritz For Bits Perineal Spray 150ml
• One x No Harm Nipple Balm Medical Grade Lanolin Nipple Cream 30ml
• One x No Harm Bum Balm for Nappy Rash 30ml
• One x clear carry bag
Encouraging any new mum to indulge in some self-care gets ticks all round from us. This collection of products for pregnancy, birth, new mums and newborns has been developed by midwifes to help relieve a range of challenges faced by the skin during pregnancy, birth and into motherhood. Each product has been carefully crafted with safe and proven, naturally derived premium ingredients. It’s sure to get plenty of use.
FridaBaby 3-in-1 Humidifier with Diffuser and Nightlight
• Suitable for 0+
• With colour changing nightlight
• Auto-stop feature
Help expectant parents create a tranquil atmosphere with this 3-in-1 humidifier with diffuser and nightlight. All three can be used all together or individually with features like an auto-stop feature which automatically turns off when the water runs out or tank is removed. The gentle mist of the diffuser promotes a little bit of calm while the colour changing nightlight soothes.
Ditsy Floral Leggings
• 95% cotton, 5% elastane
• From 9-12 months, up to 5-6 years
• Flat waistband for all-day comfort
On the hunt for a baby shower gift that costs under €10? Turn your attention to these Ditsy Floral Leggings that look far more expensive than they actually are. The super soft cotton fabric is gentle on baby’s skin and has a bit of stretch that makes dressing a wriggly tot a little easier. We’re obsessed.
Dinosaur Long-Sleeved T-Shirt
• 100% cotton single jersey
• From 9-12 months, up to 5-6 years
• Dinosaur design
Another purse-friendly present, this time to kick start any kid’s obsession with dinosaurs – surely, a rite of passage. Made from soft-on-skin cotton jersey, this navy-blue, long-sleeved t-shirt is a great everyday essential that’s destined to be worn a lot. Our advice? Size up, as chances are new parents will already have plenty of newborn baby clothes.
Joie Juva Classic Group 0+ Car Seat - Black Ink
• Group 0+ infant car seat
• Multi-position ergonomic carry handle
• Removeable and machine washable fabrics
• Two-year manufacturer's warranty
• Suitable for infants from birth to 13kg
If you’re buying a joint present with friends or family, consider this featherlight car seat from Joie. Extremely practical, this road trip ready essential is equipped with valuable features like an infant head support, ergonomic carry handle and removable canopy. It’s perfect for keeping baby cosy and convenient on every trip.
Lamaze Freddie the Firefly
• Light up setting acts as a night light
• Made with soft, tactile sensory fabrics
• Includes Velcro loop to attach to baby's cot
• Plays a lullaby and soothing white noise
• Battery operated, requires 3 x AAA batteries
We know what you’re thinking, this cuddly firefly is so adorable! Not only is it a super cute gift but it also attaches easily to a stroller of cot to keep their newborn entertained. The bright design is not only eye-catching but it also includes a ladybird teether for their little one to chew on.
My Little Coco Bath & Body Bubbles
• For newborns, babies and children
• Dermatologically tested and paediatrician-approved
• Suitable for sensitive skin
Fans of Rochelle Humes will already be familiar with her baby care line, My Little Coco. A huge hit, the collection includes this Bath & Body Bubbles, specifically created for delicate baby skin with its gentle formula that contains nourishing organic coconut oil. If you’re stuck for gift ideas, this one’s a winner!