Our service involves fitting you with a blood pressure measuring device to wear, which includes a cuff around your arm that will measure your blood pressure for 24 hours and is available to those aged 18 years and over.
Phone your local store providing the service to book an appointment
Did you know half of people with high blood pressure aren't aware they have the condition?
High blood pressure can affect people of all ages but doesn't always have symptoms. If it goes untreated, it may lead to conditions like heart disease or a stroke.
Some people who have a high blood pressure reading at the doctor or pharmacy have a normal reading at home. Monitoring your blood pressure for 24 hours can help work out if it's consistently high.
How much is the service?
The service is available at selected Boots stores† and costs €50.
HOW IT WORKS
Where is this service available?
This service is available in the following 30 selected Boots stores†*:
• Dublin Balbriggan
• Dublin Blanchardstown Shopping Centre
• Dublin Dawson St
• Dublin Donaghmede
• Dublin Donnybrook
• Dublin Drimnagh
• Dublin Glenageary
• Dublin Grafton Street
• Dublin Greystones
• Dublin Jervis Shopping Centre
• Dublin Liffey Valley Shopping Centre
• Dublin Malahide
• Dublin Nugrove Shopping Centre
• Dublin Rathmines
• Dublin Roselawn Shopping Centre
• Dublin St Stephens Green
• Dublin Swords Pavillion
• Dublin Tallaght 245
• Dublin Tallaght 319
• Dublin Upper Baggot Street
• Galway Shop St
• Galway Shopping Centre, Headford Rd
• Limerick Childers Road
• Limerick William St
• Naas Monread
Frequently asked questions
How long will each consultation take?
Both the fitting and results consultations will take about 10 to 15 minutes.
How long do I need to wear the device?
You'll be fitted with a blood pressure monitoring device to wear for 24 hours, including while you sleep. Don't worry, you can still carry on with most of your day-to-day activities while wearing the device and it's unlikely to wake you while you sleep.
The device will record your blood pressure at various points during the day. Each time a reading is taken during the day, you'll need to fill in a diary with what you were doing.
Do I need 24-hour monitoring?
You might find it useful if you or your doctor suspect you have high blood pressure and you:
• Have been diagnosed with borderline high blood pressure
• Take medicines to reduce your blood pressure
• Experience blood pressure that's hard to control
• Already live with conditions such as diabetes or high cholesterol, which affect your heart
• Want to check for Atrial Fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) – this is checked while measuring your blood pressure
What happens when the blood pressure monitoring device is taking a reading?
When it's time to take a reading, you'll feel the cuff inflate and squeeze your arm as it finds your blood pressure.
• Sit down and keep your arm completely still
• For the best reading, rest your arm on a table or other surface and keep it horizontal, at the same level as your heart
• The monitor might need to take more than one reading if it fails on the first attempt
• Avoid crossing your legs and speaking during the recording
After the reading has been taken, you'll be able to carry on with your everyday activities.
If you take blood pressure medication, then each time you take it, press the 'pill' button on the device.
Avoid driving, showering or doing vigorous exercise while wearing the device.