In-store COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service
Get a private COVID-19 same day swab test result*
What is the COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service?
We’re offering a private COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service in selected pharmacies nationwide. Our in-store service is a convenient way to get a nose swab antigen test to check for a current COVID-19 (coronavirus) infection.
It’s not a PCR test and doesn’t have to be processed in a laboratory. Using a device for analysis of the test, our specially trained colleagues will be able to process your results the same day. Results will typically be available in as little as an hour after your test.*
What's the difference between a COVID-19 rapid antigen test & a COVID-19 PCR test?
Both tests check to see if the COVID-19 virus is currently in your body. While COVID-19 PCR tests detect viral RNA, COVID-19 rapid antigen tests detect viral proteins.
PCR tests are very accurate and can detect a COVID-19 infection even before the person becomes infectious. They require processing in a laboratory, so the cost and turnaround time is higher than for rapid antigen tests.
Unlike a PCR test, a rapid antigen test doesn’t have to be processed in a laboratory, so the cost is lower and the turnaround time quicker. However, they’re not as accurate as a PCR test because the rapid antigen test reveals patients at the peak of infection when the body has the highest concentration of these proteins.
Rapid antigen tests will find the virus in most people who have symptoms. In some cases, it may not pick up that you have the virus.
Who is the COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service suitable for?
The service is suitable for adults and children 7 years of age and older. It’s not suitable for anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19, which includes being a close contact.
Please don’t book an appointment or come into store if you, anyone in your household or support bubble have symptoms of COVID-19, or you are classed as a close contact. Instead, please stay at home and follow the latest government guidance.
The service is also not suitable if you’ve recently arrived in Ireland from a country where the advice is to self-isolate. Where this applies, you must follow the latest government advice on travel into Ireland.
If you require a test for international travel-related purposes, please ensure you’re familiar with the specific test required. While many countries accept the results of rapid antigen tests taken at a specified interval before travel, some do not. It’s your responsibility to book the test required for your specific circumstances.
How can I avail of the COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Service?
You must register your details on the ReCoVa-19 portal to order your test. You’ll then receive a link to book your appointment.
Fill in a registration form and enter your payment details on the ReCoVa-19 portal by clicking ‘Order now’. After this step, you’ll receive an email link to book your appointment online at your selected Boots store.
Full payment will only be taken once you arrive for your appointment. You’ll be able to leave the store as soon as you’ve had your swab taken. Once your result is ready, you’ll get an email to let you know your results are ready to view. If your result is negative, you'll be able to download your results certificate.
How it works
Book your appointment online
Order your test online through the ReCoVa-19 portal, then book your appointment online. Register your details, and enter your payment details
Visit your chosen Boots store for your swab test
A member of our team will swab your nose. You’ll then be able to leave the store whilst your test is being processed
Get your result
Once your result is available, you’ll get an email to let you know it’s ready. You can then view your result by logging into the portal
How long will my appointment take?
The appointment, including taking the nose swab, will take less than 10 minutes. You’re then able to leave the store.
This service costs €35.
Pre-authorised payment is taken when you order the test, but full payment isn’t activated until you arrive in store for your test. Please bring a second payment option to the appointment in case of any issues at the time the card is activated. This will ensure there are no delays to your test.
Which stores offer this service?
This service is currently available in the following pharmacies:
Cork, Half Moon St
Dublin, Jervis Street
Dublin, Liffey Valley
Dublin, Lower Baggot St
Important appointment information
Please read this information carefully before coming in for your appointment.
• You’re required to bring a form of photo ID to verify your identity. If you’re using this service for travelling, this must be a passport. For other reasons, please bring your driver’s licence or another form of photo ID, such as your Public Services Card
• It’s important to ensure your full name, date of birth, and, if you’re travelling, your passport number is entered correctly onto the ReCoVa-19 portal. This is what will appear on your COVID-19 test certificate
• If you, anyone in your household or support bubble have any symptoms of COVID-19, have been advised to self-isolate due to recent travel, or are classed as a close contact, please don’t come into the pharmacy for your appointment. Instead, please call the pharmacy to cancel your appointment, and stay at home and follow the latest government guidance
• Remember to wear a face mask or covering and maintain social distancing whilst in store. You’ll need to remove your face mask or covering for the sample collection
• During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re carefully controlling the number of people in our stores at any one time. Please arrive at the pharmacy at the correct time for your appointment. If you’re early, we may ask you not to enter the store until your allotted time. If you’re late, we may not be able to provide the test and can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to re-schedule your appointment. If you’re travelling to be tested with another person, we ask that each person attends alone at their scheduled time (unless a chaperone is required). Once your appointment is complete, we ask that you leave promptly. Thank you for your co-operation with these important health and safety measures
FAQsWhat is antigen testing?
Antigens are proteins found on the surface of viruses that are recognised and targeted by the immune system. An antigen test looks for antigens in a sample to check if a person is currently infected with a specific pathogen, in this case, SARS-CoV-2.
The COVID-19 rapid antigen test is ideal for when a quick result is required for reassurance, such as attending an event, visiting a family member, or for work purposes.
If you’re using this test for travelling, it’s your responsibility to check this test is accepted in the country you’re travelling to. Some countries require confirmation of a negative PCR test result to permit entry into the country. The COVID-19 rapid antigen test wouldn’t be suitable in this case. Entry requirements vary by country, and the latest information and guidance can be found here.
ReCoVa-19 is the portal that facilitates the digital transfer of information and test results as part of the service.
Yes, this test is on the EU common list of rapid antigen tests.
You’ll receive an email to tell you that your result is ready. Results can be viewed by logging into the ReCoVa-19 portal.
You should log into the ReCoVa-19 portal to check if your results are available. Results typically take up to an hour before they become available. If it’s been over an hour since your swab appointment and your results are not available on the portal, please call the store to investigate.
Yes, for a negative result, a certificate is available to download when your results are ready from the ReCoVa-19 portal.
If you have any questions about the service, contact our customer care team on 1890 708 091**.
• This service isn’t suitable for anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 or anyone who thinks they may have COVID-19. If you have any symptoms, please stay at home and follow government guidance
• The service is for people aged 13 years and over
• You’re required to bring a form of photo ID to verify your identity. If travelling, this must be a passport. For other reasons, please bring your driver’s licence or another form of photo ID such as your Public Services Card
• If using this service to travel abroad, you must book your appointment in line with the travel carrier, e.g. airline and country entry requirements
• We expect your results to take around one hour to process and, whilst every effort will be made, we cannot guarantee results will be received within this time frame
• Whilst the test is characterised by high sensitivity and specificity, it’s not 100 percent accurate and may give false-positive or false-negative results. It’s not as accurate as a PCR test and is designed to detect the virus at levels that are more likely to mean you’re infectious and could spread the infection to others
• If you test positive‡, this means that the COVID-19 virus was identified in your test sample at the time of testing. Where a positive test result is obtained, you may be referred for confirmatory PCR testing via the national testing system
• If you test negative‡, this means that the COVID-19 virus was not identified in your test sample at the time of testing. It doesn’t mean that you haven’t had COVID-19 or that you’ll not develop the infection in the future
• Boots will not be held liable for losses, costs, or damage that you suffer or incur as a result of any delays in receiving test results or as a result of not being able to provide a test result within a set timeframe
• Boots will also not be liable to you for any losses, costs or damages that you suffer or incur as a result of receiving a positive test result (including if you’re unable to travel abroad as a result of testing positive)
• Service is subject to appointment, specially trained colleague and stock availability
• We will not charge you if you cancel your order and appointment in advance due to showing symptoms of COVID-19 or a change in travel plans
• Boots colleagues in store will not be able to provide you with your test result. It will be available to view by logging into the ReCoVa-19 portal within an hour of your test
• You are responsible for booking the correct type of test for any travel and you should follow the latest Department of Foreign Affairs guidance
• By booking an appointment for this service, you are aware that you agree to the Terms and Conditions of the service and provide informed consent to proceed with the journey through the service
*Subject to specially trained colleague and stock availability. Available in selected stores.
‡Positive test result refers to positive refers to SARS CoV2 RNA Detected/Detected at low level. Negative test result refers to SARS CoV2 RNA not detected.
**Local rates, calls may be recorded for training purposes, hours of operations: 8.30am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday, and 9am to 4pm on public holidays.