Summer hair hacks
Our guide to high-maintenance hair season
Frizz, dryness, fading colour… summer can be hard work for your hair! But fear not, because with our guide you’ll be well equipped to handle the humidity and everything that comes with it. Whatever your style, we’re here to help you have healthy, gorgeous hair all year round.
For getting rid of frizz…
Haywire hair might be OK when you’re on the beach, but it’s less favourable on the daily commute. We’d recommend using a serum or spray to condition and control frizz caused by humidity, without jeopardising your natural texture. Check out these frizz fighters:
For no knots…
If you have mid to long-length hair, the one product you shouldn’t be without in the summer is a detangling spray. A messy bun or topknot is often the easiest hairstyle during hot weather, but this can result in tangles and breakage – so spritz in a detangling mist before brushing. Try the Lee Stafford Fix It Detangler for a knot-free finish.
To tackle tangles on-the-go, pack a compact Tangle Teezer in your bag.
For beach waves…
Want that tousled, spent-the-day-by-the-coast look? Here’s how to achieve it with just sea salt spray, a hairdryer and a waving wand or tongs.
1. Apply sea salt spray throughout dry or damp hair, then blow dry it in. Try this one from Lee Stafford.
2. Divide your hair into four sections and tong each one in turn, holding the wand vertically as you go.
3. Once you’ve tonged all the hair, spritz again with sea salt spray.
4. Use your hairdryer on the cool setting to help your style stay put.
For colour that survives the sun…
The sun’s rays can cause dyed hair to fade, so apply a protective UV spray to help keep your colour bright. We love the Mark Hill Protective UV Shield – it’s non-greasy and helps to protect from both UVA and UVB rays. After the sun, treat your hair to a hydrating shampoo and conditioner.
For extra nourishment…
Your hair needs nourishing treatments more than ever in the summer, so why not try a mask? Use them as a middle step between shampooing and conditioning, and leave them on for as long as you can. Check out our favourites:
• L’Oréal Elvive Colour Protect - this one’s best for coloured hair
• Dove Advanced Hair Series Quench Absolute – this one’s best for curly hair
• Garnier Ultimate Blends Honey Strengthening – this one’s best for fragile hair