Your flu vaccination at Boots
The best way to help protect yourself and others from catching and spreading the flu, is to get the flu vaccination every year. Our Winter Flu Vaccination Service is a simple and convenient way to help protect against the flu. The flu vaccine administered by injection is available for those aged 18 and over in most Boots pharmacies*. Read more information on the nasal flu vaccination for children two to 17 years.
HOW IT WORKS
How long will my appointment take?
The in-store appointment will take around 15 minutes.
If you’re in one of the groups recommended to get the flu vaccination***, you may be elligible to get it free of charge*. For others a charge of €30 will apply*.
Keeping safe during your appointment
Looking after our customers and colleagues remains our top priority, and this has never been more important than right now. Please don’t come into store for your appointment if you or anyone in your household have any COVID-19 symptoms, or are awaiting COVID-19 test results, even if vaccinated against COVID-19. Symptoms of COVID-19 include a high temperature, a continuous cough, shortness of breath, or loss or change in sense of taste or smell. Instead please cancel your appointment and rebook for a later date.
Who should get the winter flu vaccine?
There are certain groups of people*** recommended to get the winter flu vaccination every year, including anyone who:
• Is aged 65 and over
• Is pregnant
• Has a long-term medical condition such as diabetes, heart, kidney, liver, lung or a neurological disease
• Has cancer
• Has a weakened immune system (due to disease or treatment)
• Has a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 40
• Has haemoglobinopathy
• Has Down syndrome
• Lives in a nursing home or other long-stay residence
• Is a healthcare worker with direct patient contact
• Cares for someone who is at risk of flu due to a long term health condition
• Lives in the same house as someone who is at risk of flu due to a long term health condition
• Has regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs
Is there anyone who should avoid getting the winter flu vaccine?
There are very few people who can’t have a flu vaccination†, but it might not be suitable if:
• You’ve had a serious allergic reaction to a flu vaccination or any of its ingredients in the past
• You’re taking a type of medication called checkpoint inhibitors
• You have extremely low levels of a type of white blood cell, called neutrophils
If you’re unsure if any of these may apply to you, speak with your Boots pharmacist.
Am I eligible for a free winter flu vaccination?
If you are in one of the at-risk or recommended groups to get the flu vaccination*** you can get the service free of charge*. For others a charge may apply.*
If you are unsure about your eligibility for a free vaccination, speak to your Boots pharmacist.
Can I book a flu appointment for a child aged 2 to 17 years?
What is the flu?
Flu is a common viral infection that’s easily spread to other people through coughs and sneezes. Flu symptoms include a fever, headache, sore throat and an aching body. Viruses that cause flu are the most common during the winter months. Flu strains can change from year to year, which means last year’s vaccination may not protect you from this season’s flu strains. Over time, protection from the flu vaccination also decreases, which is another reason to keep up to date with your flu vaccinations.
• With your permission, we’ll let your doctor know when you’ve had your vaccination so that they can update your medical records
• Being vaccinated is likely to provide effective protection against this year's strain of the winter flu virus. There will still be a chance of you catching flu
• After your vaccination, it can take between 10-21 days to be protected against flu
• You cannot catch flu from a flu vaccination
• Blood tests for HIV, hepatitis C and HTLV1 should not be taken for two weeks following vaccination because there is a possibility of a false positive result
• Some people require two vaccination doses. Your pharmacist will let you know if you’ll need a second dose
Boots Corporate Winter Flu Vaccination Service
Around 95 percent of all short-term absences from work are caused by minor illnesses such as colds and flu. Offering flu vaccinations is a simple and cost-effective way to help keep your employees healthy. Our online booking system makes it easy for you to order and send e-vouchers to your employees. Which they can use at a participating Boots Pharmacy and receive their flu vaccination at no cost to them*. Find out more about our Corporate Winter Flu Vaccination Service.
*Vaccination service subject to specially trained pharmacist and vaccine availability. Selected stores only. The eligibility criteria for a free vaccination based on HSE requirements can be found here. A charge may apply. Ask your Boots pharmacist for details. Eligibility criteria applies.
**Subject to store opening times, vaccine stock and specially trained pharmacist availability.
***See https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/about-the-vaccine/ for full listing.
†These exclusion criteria refer to inactivated influenza vaccination only