Sore Throat Test and Treat Service
When you have a sore throat, getting the right advice and treatment can help you get back to normal
Your treatment options can depend on what caused your sore throat. Most sore throats are caused by viruses but some are bacterial.
To help work out what is causing your sore throat, some Boots pharmacies in Ireland now offer a Sore Throat Test and Treat Service before giving you advice and treatment.*
If symptoms indicate you may have a bacterial infection, the service offers a test to detect Streptococcus A, the most common cause of bacterial sore throats.
*This service is available to people aged 16 and above subject to the availability of a trained pharmacist
If you have a sore throat, simply pop into a pharmacy offering the service, which follows these steps:
1. Consultation - Health Advisor
A healthcare advisor will ask a few questions and take your temperature to work out whether your sore throat's likely to be bacterial or viral.
- If it's likely to be viral, they'll give you the appropriate advice and offer products to treat your symptoms
- If it may be bacterial, they will refer you to one of our pharmacists
2. Examination - Boots Pharmacist
A specially-trained pharmacist will examine you for further signs of a bacterial infection. This includes checking your throat for white spots and your neck for tenderness around your glands.
- If this shows it's likely to be a bacterial infection, they'll offer you a throat swab test
3. Throat swab test
The test takes a few minutes to detect the bacteria Streptococcus A (Strep A).
- If the result is positive for Strep A, your pharmacist will refer you to a doctor who may ask you further questions to determine if a prescription medicine is suitable for you. They will also give you some general advice on how best to manage your symptoms
- If the result is negative for Strep A, your pharmacist will go through treatment options to help relieve your symptoms
How much does the service cost?
The service costs €7.50 and this includes the consultation with our pharmacy team, physical examination and throat swab where indicated.
Any over-the-counter products you choose to purchase will be charged at normal price.
Where can I use the service?
Unfortunately, you can't book an appointment for this service online, but you can pop into any selected Boots store which offers the service. Click here to find your nearest participating pharmacy.