Boots guide to bathing baby
Baby bath time needn't be stressful. Help your little one to enjoy getting clean and comfortable with our selection of tips and favourite bath time buys
Bath time bliss
Bathing your baby is a great opportunity for bonding and, once you both get used to it, it can also be lots of fun. Babies don't need to be bathed every day as 'topping & tailing' is sufficient – a technique which involves gently cleaning their face, neck, hands and bottom.
Bath time safety
For safety and fun in the tub, follow these top tips:
- Never leave your baby alone in the bath, not even for a second
- To avoid too much bending, it's recommended you have the baby bath level with your tummy. Bath baby in a warm room
- Don't bathe your baby straight after a feed, or when they're tired
- Make sure the bath isn't too hot - run the cold water first and use a thermometer or your wrist or elbow to check the temperature of the water is around 37°C
- If your baby seems frightened of the bath, it might help if you go in together - it's a great way to bond too
- Lower your baby into the bath gently, using one hand to hold their upper arm and support his or her head and shoulders
- Remember to only use bath products that are suitable for your baby's sensitive skin. Some babies are allergic to peanut oil, so you shouldn't use items that contain this
- Wash your baby's face with plain water, then wash their hair. As most heat is lost from their head, their hair should be dried before the rest of their body
Baby bath time: Best buys
For lots of fun in the tub, check-out our essential bath time items.
Use a shampoo that's specially designed for baby, such as Johnson's Easy-Rinse Foaming Shampoo. It's anti-tears, sensitive on delicate young skin and washes out easily.
Wash and learn
The Munchkin White Hot Safety Bath Duck features White Hot technology, White Hot reveals the word 'HOT' when bath is too hot, helping prevent bathtime burns. Fun, easy to grasp size and shape, water-tight to prevent sinking, squirting and mildew.
Bath time fun
Get some bath toys that will help to entertain and educate. Choose colourful items that feature interesting shapes and sounds. The cute Splash & Catch Fishing Net from Nuby is great value - and provides lots of fun.
For maximum tubtime amusement, bubbles are the answer. Use a bubble bath that's specially formulated for sensitive young skin and eyes - such as Paddy's Bathroom Organic Tangy Tangerines Bubble Bath, made with 100% natural ingredients.
Soft as cotton
After bath time's over, gently dry your baby with a 100% cotton towel, ensuring that he or she is completely dry. The high-quality cotton Skip Hop Zoo Hooded Towel Duck is sweet and stylish.